January 24, 2014

My Daily Commute

I have always walked to school and now is no different. In total I walk about 5 miles a day to the two schools I work at daily. For the most part I enjoy the walk, I get to say hello to neighbors and exercise at the same time. If I could change one thing, however, I would lessen the incline of some of the hills I am climbing daily. I start off in the morning with this hill on the left. Note that the sun isn't quite up yet, so I can get to the top without breaking a sweat.










Once I am there I get to see a beautiful view as a walk down hill (see below). The walk is not so beautiful on the way back up, under the heat of noon. I will be sweaty and slightly winded by the time I make it to the top.

I take a lunch break at home and then I am on my way again in the opposite direction to the other school. I have to climb another hill, but again I am greeted by a gorgeous view.

A view of the Samaná Bay

So far, all the walking hasn't caused me to be sore, granted we still have yet to have a full week of school. However, I painfully discovered that squatting next to first graders tiny little chairs and table for an entire morning will lead to sore legs. Next week I am going to be pulling up a chair next to my students more often.
Some of the 1st graders

In other news:
  • The grocery store had bacon this week! It was turkey bacon but still delicious.
  • I had my first PCV visitor. It was so nice to have the company of another volunteer, and she taught me some great recipes.
  • I now have a guest bed - just one more reason why you'll should come and visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment