November 3, 2013

Snapshots

This week I am letting pictures do most of the talking:

 In English class we played hot potato while Romeo stood awkwardly in the middle.

Found a tarantula in my house for the first time. I think Pato killed it.

Pato is getting pretty good at killing things.
 I took kids with me to the farm where Romeo grew up. They got to wash horses...

...and conquer their fears about riding said horses. Some hand-holding was needed when riding.


Which one is the banana? Trick question!  - Neither, the yellow ones are rulos and the green are plantains.
 This week I have been cooking a lot of Dominican staples as my neighbors have been particularly generous. I have boiled ayuyama (a squash) and rulos (a cousin to the banana - very sweet), I have fried batata (white sweet potato) and plantains into tostones I also made lechosa batidas (papaya smoothies). All very yummy. If you come and visit I will cook Dominican food for you too!
Mmmmm tostones!

What happens when my neighbors give me a solid block of ice.

Dropped my ipod - please tell me it is not going to die!

Baby Ayuyama!
I am staring to garden! I planted the seeds from the ayuyama (squash) and papaya I was given. The ayuyama has already sprouted. I did some of the planting with my environmental group. The kids got a kick out of it - once their seedlings grow a bit I am going to let them plant them at home - we shall see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment