April 13, 2013

Electrical Shock

      It is five in the morning and suddenly the light turns on in my room, the power is back on for the first time since the afternoon the day before. At the same time I realize that the power is back on I hear a cat scream from the roof and then a thud of something cat sized hitting the ground after falling from the roof. My light was the only one on the house (I know this because the walls to not reach the roof so I can see all the house lights) this means I may have electrocuted a cat. I emphasize the may because I didn't check around the house, and nothing has begun to smell, so I think I am in the clear.

     Aside from possibly electrocuting the cats that roam my house's roof my living situation has been great. My host family continues to be great, so many fresh juices of fruits that I do not know the names of in English nor have I seen anywhere else. Also have had pineapple and rice based drink, it is really good! The rice and pineapple boil together in water, then you blend it and let it chill.


     The summer rains have arrived here in Monte Plata, it has down poured every afternoon this week which has been messing with the town's electricity. However, it's a good thing because the farm animals have been looking a little skinny of late. Also means I have gotten the chance to run around in the rain and play a muddy game of tag at the baseball stadium that also holds my classes. Downside is that students who live outside the town don't come to school because some roads become impassable when it rains too much.




View of the Baseball Field from Stadium Classroom

Highlights from the week:
  • Swam in a river
  • My Spanish level has increased by .5 now a 6.5 out of 10!
  • Presented a community diagnostic in Spanish
  • Made didactic materials for literacy instruction
  • Put my hair in rollers for a skit (Photo to Come)
  • There is a Den of Tigueres across of my house - their piropos are getting old real quick

Girls Creating a Map of their Community
House of Chickens (See previous Post)

No comments:

Post a Comment