January 15, 2015

Kids Say the Darndest Things

My Spanish has improved leaps and bounds since I arrived in the Dominican Republic. But the comments my students make are often so out-of-the-blue that I have to ask them to repeat themselves or elaborate. Here is a sampling of some recent conversations:
Collecting Cajuil Fruit

Student - Susan, how big is your property?
Me - My property? I just rent the house. I guess just the front yard.
Student - And is the Cajuil tree part of your yard? 
Me - Yes
Student - Can we go get some Cajuil fruit?
Me - Sure.

And thus I spent an extra few minutes after class collecting fresh fruit with my students.
***
Student - Susi, do you have a secret boyfriend?
Me - A secret boyfriend, why do you think I have a secret boyfriend?
Student - Because how can you not have a boyfriend! He lives in the capital, doesn't he? I am sure of it!
Me - No, sorry, if only.
Student - Fine be that way, I know you are lying!
***
First class with my new boy's youth group
Me - Okay boys, it is time to come up with the rules for your youth group.
Students whispering.
Me - What was that? I heard my name. Tell me what you all said!
Student - Wilberto says we should have a rule that says that none of us are allowed to fall in love with you.
Me - Fall in love with me?
Students nod heads.
Me - Well don’t worry boys I promise I will never fall in love with any of you. You all are a little too young for me anyways.
***
Student - I don’t believe you were in a fight?
Me - When was I in a fight?!
Student - Susi! Don’t pretend you don’t remember telling me!
Me - Oh, you mean the time when I was 10?
Student - Yeah!

This conversation then turned into my student demonstrating how she would have attacked a person who recently gave me some bad news.
***

I have the best students.

No comments:

Post a Comment