July 7, 2014

The One Year Mark

I have now lived in the Dominican Republic for 16 months, 13 of those months have been spent living and working in my community. To mark the one year milestone, I attended a four day training event with the 14 remaining education PCVs (five PCVs ended their service early).

Often when PCVs get together we tend to down-play our problems because we don't want to bring up complicated and sensitive issues, we just want to have a fun time and forget about our jobs for a few hours. Prior to the conference I was feeling complacent and burnt out. I was tired of being the cheerleader in my community, and at times I questioned the value and purpose of some of my work. At the conference a lot of time was spent reflecting on our success and challenges of the past year. It was nice to see what everyone had been doing, and receive their constructive support.

A  positive take-away from the conference was knowing that despite the challenges we face ranging from uncooperative principals to sexual harassment, all of us remain committed to our jobs. When asked who would stay if our second year of service became optional all of us raised our hands. And when asked if we planned to work in international development in the future, all of us again said yes.


Waterfall in Jarabacoa
On the last day of the conference we hiked to a beautiful waterfall in Jarabacoa, that may or may not have been featured in a Jurassic Park film. The trip was a great reminder of the perks of living in the D.R.

Later that night we all wrote on planks of wood our biggest challenge and how we planned to overcome it. Then we put on "Eye of the Tiger" and chopped our challenges in half with our bare hands...except for me. I have no karate skills and had to kick my plank in half with my foot. I apparently am a better ass-kicker than I am a knock-out boxer.

Ready for Another Year
The day after the conference I flew back to the States for the first time since I arrived in the D.R. The two trips together left me feeling refreshed and helped me quickly resume my role as my community's ass-kicking cheerleader.

No comments:

Post a Comment