December 18, 2013

Dominicanisms III

Dominicans use so much slang that a good amount of my language training has been dedicated to learning how to speak like a Dominican. I spent the last week in the capital reviewing all the Spanish I have learned, and discovered I still have a ways to go before I can speak Dominican. Here is some of the new vocabulary I learned:

  • Acabar-  to say negative things about someone
  • Alelado/a - someone with their head in the clouds
  • Que se acabó  / Por Pipá - when there is a lot of something. The first phrase means without end, the second that there is enough for someone named Pipá. I don't think anyone knows who is Pipá.
  • Dar carpeta - to bother. Carpeta is a folder so it started as a phrase to describe people who give out a lot of work but now is commonly used to describe annoying children.
  • Cuquicá  / Hecho en China - something of low quality. The second phrase means Made in China.
  • Mojiganga - a fool
  • Ñapa - to give a little more. This can refer to many things food, money, time, and is also used to ask a significant other for a little more lovin'.
  • Matatán - someone smart.
  • Aguajero / Parejero / Fantamoso - a big talker.
  • Barsa / Rumba - describes something as being in a large amount
  • Lío - a problem
  • Viralata - can refer to street dogs or men in a very negative way.
  • Resaca - a hang-over
  • Cherecha - a party
  • Tollo - a mess, disaster

Now a special section just on physical violence:
  • Bimbar - to beat-up someone
  • Galleta / Bofetada - a slap
  • Pecosón - Slap on the back of the head
  • Cocotazo - a knock on the head
  • Trompón / Trompada - a closed fist punch
  • Roquitoqui - a flick to the head with ones fingers
  • Aruñón - scratch
  • Tablazo / Yaguazo - when one walks into something (finally a word for something I do all the time!)
  • Estrayón - when one trips themselves

I also learned a good amount of vulgar words (you gotta know how to respond!) but I won't be posting those here. But if you want to curse off a Dominican in their native tongue shoot me an email and I'll get you sorted out.

No comments:

Post a Comment